Sunday, December 27, 2009

Programming a Ham radio for using repeaters?

I am a new ham, just got my license. I have a new hand held radio (VX-150 Vertex). I am confused on how to program it for repeater use.


What do I need to do about offsets and tones etc? I want to have all the local repeaters ready to go in memory. ThanksProgramming a Ham radio for using repeaters?
Congratulations on your license! I don't know your HT, but they usually do the correct offset if you just tune it to the repeater frequency.





The frequencies are usually given as a single frequency such as 146.73 which is the repeater transmit frequency -- you tune the HT to this, then when you transmit, it should automatically shift your transmit down 600 KHz to 146.13.





You may occasionally hear them referred to by 2 numbers, the above example would be 13/73, so you need to tune to the second one -- I'm not sure if there's a pattern for 145 or 146, you'll have to guess -- no harm either way.





Offsets, which should be automatic by your HT are receive is down 600 KHz for frequencies below 147.00 and up 600 for over 147.00 Exactly 147.00 is usually up, but is occasionally the other way.





This information along with any needed tones are in whatever repeater directory you use. If there's a tone, you'll probably hear it mentioned either in conversation on the air or maybe in the repeater's automatic ID. You don't need the tone frequency to listen, just to talk.





Have fun, study and upgrade. There's a whole world, literally, on HF.Programming a Ham radio for using repeaters?
Congratulations on your new license. I think you will enjoy ham radio.





I suggest that you check out the Yahoo Groups VX-150 group. I think you will have the first hand experiance of quite a few VX-150 owners in this group.





When you program the radio for repeaters probably the most important thing to remember is to program the transmit offset.





There are some odd repeaters that do not conform to band plans but most do. In general repeaters below 147 mHz will use a -600 kHz offset and repeaters above 147 mHz use a +600 kHz offset.





Tones used vary by the repeater and in most areas it is best to look them up in a repeater guide. You can find repeater guides at www.arrl.org in their publications for sale. Keep in mind there are two kinds of tone squelch systems. CTCSS is the most common and us typically lised in the repeater guides by frequency. For example you might find 103.5 Hz listed for a repeater. By the way CTCSS stands for continuous tone coded squelch system.





DCS is digital coded squelch and the code is a three digit number.





Some hand helds can automatically scan for CTCSS and DCS codes from repeaters that they hear on the air but I did not see this feature listed for the VX-150 but its worth checking the manual to see if it's there.





Once you get used to it programming the radio should be pretty quick.





Another place you might find some interesting information on the radio is www.dxzone.com search for the VX-150.





I hope this helps you some.
Welcome to the hobby!





I know some radios can be a bit confusing to program. The manual should help... NO I am not being mean..... I understand... all this can be confusing... The techology can be overwhelming to newcomers.





Relax... get used to your radio and enjoy.





I might not be much help... but I hope I boost your morale... I love new hams :)





73 John
  • powder
  • oil offshore
  • oil weight
  • petroleum oil
  • 1 comment:

    1. One of the best things to do is learn to use your radio equipment.

      Read the manual from cover to cover and then do it again 12 months after reading it the first time.

      Rereading the manual will allow you to rediscover your equipment. I have been discovering radio equipment and how it works for a long time.

      I document my findings on
      Ham Radio Programming

      ReplyDelete