Thursday, December 24, 2009

Which one is better to take Database Administrator Course or JAVA programming course?

I was trying to enroll for a JAVA programming course, but for some reasons the schools keep on pushing me to get an database administrator course. I know it cost more to take the database administrator course, but is it true, that DBA has more demands than JAVA programmers.Which one is better to take Database Administrator Course or JAVA programming course?
I would agree that Database Administration is more of a stable and secure field. Java is popular for right now, however as time goes on there will be something bigger and better to replace Java.





Databases, however will be around for a long time. I would assume that in taking a Database Administration course, you will learn about several types of Databases, as well as the proper way to design a Database.





With Java, you learn only the Java programming language and that is it.





You need to decide what you want to do. If programming web pages and Java applets is what you really want to do, then take the Java course. If you are looking for a good career and job security, then go with the Database Administration course.Which one is better to take Database Administrator Course or JAVA programming course?
It depends on what you're interested in for a career. You can make good money doing either. I'm a programmer, and I think DBAs are under more stress than developers, because they have more day-to-day operational responsibilities.
Your question should only be answered by you and not anyone else if you want to be a programmer then you need to learn programming languages and not just JAVA either.





If you want to be a DBA you should take more then one class in fact you probably should take several certifications.





Either way in the computer related industry you will need to make the commitment to endless learning in order to get to the top and try to hold your position. You really should choose a career that you love doing so that way it is never work and always fun.





Recently I had to do a salary survey for a presentation at a local school. I can tell you that at least in my area Database Administrators make quite a bit more money then programmers of equal experience level. That should not be a deciding factor for you it is meant only as a helpful tidbit of information.
I think it depends on what you like to do personally, and what you would enjoy doing more for a career. I personally don't think there is that much more demand for DBA's than developers, but that may vary depending on where you live. Personally, I would take the Java course. I think it is easier to get into an entry-level application programming position than an entry-level database position. As far as what the school is recommending, I think you stated the reason they are pushing you to take the DBA course yourself : ';I know it cost more to take the database administrator course';. Remember, a school is a business, and even though you are there to get an education, their primary goal is to achieve profit. I say go for the Java.
depends on what you want to do. If you want programming you need a programming class. You always need to understand databases but DBAs are all about administering it. You have to ask why you wanted JAVA in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment